Constant reduction of quantity emitted pollution (gases and dust) is one of main environmental aim which our company had set itself. During last years we’ve made 15 investments which contributed to that. A few of them are:
- Construction of the PCI installation for blast furnaces in Kraków (completed in 2007) and Dąbrowa Górnicza (2011). It allowed to replace coke used in the BF process with pulverized coal and in turn to reduce emission of dusts, sulphur dioxide, NOx, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at the coke plant
- Construction of a new system for dedusting at the process line for BF 2 in Dąbrowa Górnicza unit was carried out as a part of the major overhaul of the furnace in 2006. The investment allowed to reduce dust emission by several dozen per cent, to a level compliant with requirements of BAT documents
- The Kraków coke plant has also completed the processes of replacing old batteries with a new one, more environmentally friendly, multichamber battery; as well as commissioning a dry quenching installation.
- in Zdzieszowice Coke Plat there was complete overhaul of coke oven batteries No. 7, 8 in 2003 and 2004. New coke batteries No. 11 (in 2006) and No. 12 (in 2008) with new efficient dedusting installations (bag filters) was constructed.
In our main Units dust emission in comparison to 2002 decreased by: more than 60% in Krakow Unit, 50% in Dąbrowa Górnicza Unit. Within the last 10 years emission of dust from Zdzieszowice Coke Plant was reduced by 50%.
Back to top
Sewage generated in the production processes in ArcelorMittal Poland is treated and to large extent reused for production. Its composition is closely monitored through laboratory tests. The most important concerning wastewater management in recent years:
- a sewage treatment plant was constructed at the ore reloading base in Dąbrowa Górnicza Unit for PLN 2 million
- a new biological sewage treatment plant in the Kraków coke plant for sewage generated in the process of coking coal. The investment worth ca. PLN 24 million will be ready to the end of 2012.
- installation of a new strip cooling line in Świętochłowice Unit, with a closed water circuit, significantly contributed to reduction of sewage volume.
- renovation and expansion of the biological treatment plant in the Zdzieszowice Coke Plant in 2008
Back to top
- More than 70 percent of generated waste material is recycled at internal installations of the Company, the remaining volume, to large extent comprises slag, which can be used e.g. for production of road construction aggregate; it is not stored in Dąbrowa Górnicza Unit. Kraków Unit has dumps of solid waste materials - slag, hydrated sludge and dust, which undergo secondary processing. In the Zdzieszowice Coke Plant 100% of the waste from the production of coke is recycled in its own installations.
- All of the company's unit organize selective collection of waste generated at the office buildings.
Back to top
Energy / CO2
Average value of the CO2 emission rate per tonne of liquid steel produced in the plants of ArcelorMittal Poland between 2004 and 2009 was 1.6. The Company tries to reduce this value by implementing an extensive program of improving fuel and raw material consumption efficiency, improving energy efficiency of the plants and revamping production lines.
Commissioning of this projects has enable to reduce consumption of gases, electricity, steam and other utilities.
Energy saved during operation years from 2006 to 2011, is about 26 000 TJ.
According CO2 emission reduction – about 2,7 million tons, since 2006 to 2011, from major projects
Electricity consumption reduction more than 300 GWh for years 2006 to 2011
Back to top
Green Revolution Programme: Since 2007, ArcelorMittal Poland has planted more than 350 000 trees on the area of 40 ha in the protection zone in Dąbrowa Górnicza and on premises of Sosnowiec, Świętochłowice and Kraków units. The cost of the project is ca. PLN 1 million.
For Dąbrowa Górnicza Unit was made a simplified forest management plan. The scope of the plan are: silviculture, general protection of forests, maintaining forest sustainability, continuity and sustainable use of all functions of the forest, enhancement of forest resources.
Planting trees program in the buffer zone of the landscape park “St. Anne Mountain” is continued in the Zdzieszowice Coke Plant.
Projects of developing new green areas in tandem with residents: Nowa Huta Gardens, gardens at schools, green areas for inhabitants
Back to top
Other sustainable aspects
- Eco-laurels of the Polish Chamber of the Environment 2011: Our company was one of the laureates of the 10th jubilee edition of the national contest Eco-laurels of the Polish Chamber of Ecology under the auspices of the Minister of Environment. We were awarded the main prize in the category of protection from noise for the project ”Reduction of noise sources in ArcelorMittal Poland Kraków Unit”. The judging panel also decided to honour ArcelorMittal Poland in the category of environmentally-friendly product used in industry and construction for the project “Blast Furnace slag as environmentally-friendly product used in industry and construction sector”.
- Social dialogue: a dedicated toll free phone number and email address for inhabitants were set up to contact the Green Officer. The position of a Green Officer, which became a platform facilitating open communication between community and ArcelorMittal as a company caring about local impact of its investments. In order to be able to quickly react and respond to environmental issues reported by residents, that help us exchange of information on a the current impact on the environment closest to the company and ensures a quick response to any problems reported by local residents.
- The Ecological Forum in Kraków and Dąbrowa Górnicza Units: Meetings with other companies, local community representatives, City Offices, Inspection concerning pro-ecological actions taken by companies, current problems in regions concerning environmental protection, discussion and exchange knowledge. Forums are organized once a year in each Unit.
- Meeting with residents – neighbours of Krakow Unit on October 2012, during the meeting we’ve showed a presentation about technological and organizational changes in plant and also reduction of environmental impact. There was time for discussion about local problems and we’ve organized a visit inside the Plant to show the latest investments. We’re also preparing a special eco newsletter for local community.
- Numerous pro-environmental actions are taken internally, in order to promote awareness and sensitivity among the company's employees. One of spring month is from 2009 called “green month”, when we are sending to employees so-called EcoMails, i.e. short messages containing useful tips, for instance how to dispose of used oil or what to use instead of a foil bag, we’re organizing ecological contest, electro-waste collection ect
- for other (not environment) initiatives please look in “Enriching our communities” pages 26 – 33 and “Transparent Governance” pages 34-34 in Out the latest CSR report http://www.arcelormittal.com/poland/en/corporate-responsibility/raport-2011.html
Back to top