In 15 years, dust emissions have been reduced of 85%. This result is representative of the important efforts done by the site to perform its environmental results and to limit the impact on the air quality around the site: monitoring, implementation of ISO 14001, optimization of maintenance operations, awareness campaigns.
Many modifications or investments were realized to obtain the current level.
Thus in 2010 started the secondary dedusting system at steel plant, aiming to suppress the main visible diffuse dust emissions. This investment, for a amount of 13.8 M€, allowed to decreasing the diffuse dust emission from 155 tons in 2011 to 32 tons in 2012
Since 2010, several projects are in progress at the coke plant in order to reduce VOC’s emissions on gas treatment area, such as capturing diffuse emissions to treat them thanks a heating system. Diffuse emissions at desulfurization unit for instance were suppressed completely in 2011 for an amount of 215 k€.
Several waste water treatment plants are run on the Florange site to assure a good level of quality of our waste water.
Due to the location of production units, at least 8 treatment plants are followed continuously and analysis are realized daily for most parameters (Suspended Solids, Chemical Oxygen Demand, Hydrocarbon, etc.).
In 2010, the set up of a complementary settler and of a new biofilter allowed to improve the results of the cold rolling mills waste water. The biofilter allows to reduce the concentration of COD by 2.
Previously (in 2004) the same of investment already showed its efficiency on the Packaging installations.
Drinkable water consumptions are followed and leakages localized and repaired. In 2010 and 2011, a leakage at sinter plant was repaired allowing a saving of 13500 m3/an.
More than 90 percent of generated waste material is internally or externally recycled.
The process of generation of each waste is identified and the opportunity or recycled is stydied.
Several ways of recycling can be taken into account : internal recycling (60% of coke plant’s wastes are internal recycled), agricultural use (ammonia sulfite), use on road techniques (BF slag), etc.
At the office buildings, selective collection of waste generated is organized.
On plants, regular controls allows to follow an indicator for good practices : selective collection respected at least at 92%.
Regular analysis on underground water are realized to control the quality and the absence of pollution on soils.
The Company tried to reduce the impact of the CO2 emission by several actions.
Since 2010, the renovation of dispatching allowed to improve the gases allocation to reduce flares, decreasing CO2 emissions (-7000 t/year) and saving gas consumption (-126 TJ/year).
To optimize gas allocation on the Steam Plant in 2009 allowed to decreased CO2 emissions (-25000 t/year) and saving gas consumption (-167 TJ/year).
In 2011, the use of a gas engine to produce electricity with excess of gases (BF + BOF gases) reduced the CO2 emission of 3 700 tons and the energy consumption of 73 TJ.
- In 30 years’ time, we have succeeded in reducing our energy consumption per ton of steel produced by one third (25 GJ per ton of hot rolled coil in 1980 compared to 17 GJ in 2011).
- In September 2003, ArcelorMittal Gent signed the Benchmark covenant with the Flemish government, thus committing ourselves to be among the best performing steelworks in the world regarding energy consumption per ton of steel produced.
- Mid-2010 an important step forward was made by the commissioning of the BOF-gas recovery unit in the steel shop. This investment allowed us to reduce energy consumption by about 0,7 GJ per ton of liquid steel. This is a 4% cut in our company’s overall energy consumption.
- Also mid-2010 Electrabel (GDF Suez) commissioned a new power plant on our site to convert blast furnace gas and BOF-gas into electricity with an efficiency of over 40%.
- 74% of our CO2-emissions are inherent in the blast furnace process. There is only limited improvement potential to reduce those emissions. However, the better we control the coke and sinter quality, by choosing the most suited raw materials, the more we will increase carbon efficiency and the more we will reduce CO2-emissions of our blast furnaces.
- Other CO2-emissions mainly result from combustion processes. These can be reduced by increasing energy-efficiency of those processes.
In 2011, our global specific emissions amounted to 1,793 tons of CO2 per ton of liquid steel. Compared to other steelworks using the blast furnace route, this is a very good performance.
In 2010, with the local administration agency, ArcelorMittal Florange collaborated to rehabilitation of the river banks to create floods area and limit the potential impact on inhabitants.
Since 2009, we collaborate with the Birds Protection League to maintain a nest for peregrine falcon on the roof of the main office building.
Suppliers having potential impacts on environment are identified and specifically followed with local Purchasing team.